Obtaining a Passport


If you are planning to travel abroad, a valid passport may be required. There may be additional documentation required for travel, including visas. THE CLERK OF COURTS DOES NOT ISSUE VISAS. Click here to go to the U.S. Department of State's website.

Click here to access passport forms.

You must appear in person.

Passport applications are accepted at our title office, which is located at 2 W. Walnut Street Jefferson, OH 44047. Passports are delivered by mail from the United States Department of State, and should arrive within eleven to thirteen weeks.

Expedited passports may be requested for an additional fee and usually arrive within seven weeks. If expediting a passport, go to the post office first and get a pre-paid envelope.

Passports are not delivered on holidays or weekends.

In order to obtain a passport, you must pay any related fees and present the following to the Clerk of Courts Title Office:

  1. A completed passport application*:
    Form DS-11. The application must be signed at the title office. If a clerk does not witness the signature, the application is invalid.
  2. Proof of Citizenship (one of the following):
    • Certified Birth Certificate, issued and certified by the Department of Vital Statistics (hospital birth records are not acceptable)
    • Previous U.S. Passport
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Certificate of Citizenship
    • A Delayed Birth Certificate filed more than one year after your birth may be acceptable if the documentation used to create it is signed by the attending physician or midwife and is accompanied by an affidavit signed by the parents.
  3. Proof of Identity (please provide the original and a copy of one of the following):
    • Valid U.S. Passport
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Current, valid driver's license or
    • Government ID: city, state or federal


ALL MINORS MUST APPEAR IN PERSON. In order to avoid potential issues with State Department approval, the Clerk of Courts highly recommends that all minors appear with both parents (if possible).

Minors, age 17 & 16, may apply independently, if sufficient factual evidence of parental awareness is provided and a valid ID.

Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by both parents. Please contact our office with any issues involving both parents being present.

All minors must have Evidence of Child's Relationship to Parent(s)/Guardian(s), such as:

Passport Fees

The U.S. Department of State Accepts Only Check or Money Order

Routine Service (11-13 Weeks) Book Card
Adult (age 16 and up)* $130.00 $30.00
Child (age 15 and under)* $100.00 $15.00
Photographs (set of 2)** $20.00
Agency Fee** $36.00 $36.00
Expedited Service (7-9 Weeks) Book Card
Adult (age 16 and up)* $208.32 $90.00
Child (age 15 and under)* $178.32 $75.00
Photographs (set of 2)** $20.00
Agency Fee** $36.00 $36.00
Expedited Postage** $26.95

*Check or Money Order payable to U.S. Department of State

**Cash, Check OR Money Order, or Credit Card payable to Ashtabula County Clerk of Courts, April Daniels

Passport Photo Requirements

Lost or Stolen Passports

Lost or stolen passports must be reported to the U.S. Department of State immediately. To replace a lost or stolen passport, the appropriate Form DS-64 and application may be completed at any Clerk of Courts title office.